Sunday, July 23, 2017
Tofu With Black Bean - Hunan Style
Then I found a local restaurant that produces a very acceptable version with bell pepper and onion. After savoring that meal, I had a 'smack the forehead' moment when I realized that I would be more than capable of making this dish at home!
My approach (where C=cup, T=tablespoon, t=teaspoon):
1. Mix 3/4C of chicken or vegetable broth with 1t sesame oil, 3T of rinsed black bean sauce (plain or garlic, both are salty!), 1/2t black pepper, 2oz white wine, 1t sweet soy (syrupy version, although you could use regular), and 1 level t of corn starch. You can add some red pepper flakes if you want your dish spicy.
2. Slice 1/2 sweet onion and 1/2 small bell pepper (red, yellow, green - your choice)
3. Cut about a third of block of extra firm tofu into 1/4" high by 3/4" wide by 1" long rectangles, then place on a couple paper towels to drain
4. Heat 2t of oil in a wok, then fry onions and pepper until onion is almost translucent, then add tofu
5. Fry until tofu almost starts to brown, then add bowl of broth mix and cook until slightly thickened
I love this dish!