Monday, September 23, 2019

In-Depth Review of the Rebel Silencer SOS-22 V2 Suppressor

Review of the Rebel Silencer SOS-22 V2 Suppressor




I like shooting a lot of .22LR with my Ruger pistols and 10/22. Early in 2019, my LGS demo'd a small .22LR suppressor for me and piqued my interest. However, this was several months before the shop got an order kiosk installed, which makes the entire process of paperwork, fingerprinting, and payment a whole lot easier - no running around to get passport photos or fingerprint cards: Simply create an online account, verify some information, fill out the forms, scan your fingerprints and upload a digital photo - then sit back and wait.

I purchased a Rebel SOS 22 V2 on June 17, 2109. And then I must have hit the BATF lottery as I received my tax stamp in 96 days - it was signed Sept 14, 2019!

One nice thing about buying from my LGS was that it gave me the privilege of conjugal rights to any purchased suppressors "waiting in jail" (I fully anticipated waiting a year). Since we have monthly get-togethers at an outdoor range, I had a chance to run the Rebel suppressor on my MkIII w/Paclite barrel, my 10/22 SS TD, and my three Chargers (two blued, one SS).

Parts Overview


The V2 suppressor looks quite a bit different from the current online reviews and videos of earlier models; there are five sections:



The 'SOS' in the products name stands for "Screw On Stack," as you can see in the picture above. The serial-number section does not have a baffle, but the subsequent four sections do, and you can mix and match - there is no specified order for the stacks, unlike other suppressors. Each baffle has a hole drilled to 0.25" (although i did find one that was closer to 0.26"):
 


The end cap attaching to your pistol or rifle's threaded barrel is a thick aluminum with wrench flats, while the business end of the suppressor has serrated knurls. There is no need to use a wrench or pliers to tighten this suppressor:



A Helpful Tool


However, the silver end cap can sometimes be tightly affixed to the your muzzle at the end of the range session, and when you go to unscrew your SOS-22 you may find yourself unscrewing the first section and not the entire suppressor!

One odd feature of this suppressor is the use of a 27mm flat on the end cap. Don't know why this was chosen, as it is an odd size. A pity 26mm wasn't used as you can find a Park Tool cone wrench in that size at any decent bike shop. However, I was able to easily find this oddball cone wrench in 27mm that works very well (note: pic is representative and shows 15mm, but my wrench is 27mm):

I stuck the wrench in the range bag and now I don't have to worry about removing the suppressor after used.

Also, note that the suppressor's muzzle end cap is also recessed w/an inverted cone. You can make a 'shorty' suppressor using just the first section and this cap if you're shooting quiet .22 Shorts:


Function at the Range


I ran CCI minimags HPs, CCI SV LRN, CCI quiet LRN, CC1 Shorts CPHP (which cycled on my Charger using a modified BX-1), Remington HP Subsonics, and Winchester LRN M-22s. All functioned with no problem... (the Paclite barrel required about 400 rounds to break-in with smooth feeding - especially non-waxed rounds, but is now reliable). I ran w/two sections, three sections, and the whole enchilada... three sections significantly reduced sound level... all five sections and no hearing protection needed. Here is a the full taco plate:


Here's the SOS-22 V2 with only three stacks:



I don't have a chronograph, nor a sound-level meter... and don't see a need to get either (perhaps a chronograph if i were into hand-loading).

I can also run this suppressor on my Ruger stainless Takedown 10/22 or my three Charger pistols. The suppressor is especially effective when shooting CCI Quiet (710fps) LRN with my Volquartsen Firefly bolt, and even more so when running CCI Shorts in a modified BX-1.

Accuracy is not bad and equal to no suppressor with three sections attached... POI dropped an inch at 7 yards with the whole enchilada the first time out, but i'll run some more tests now that i have full custody. This is in contrast to my other suppressor, a Dead Air Odessa9 (which handles .22 thru 9mm) still in jail, which did not affect accuracy at 25 yards...

Coming Clean About Cleaning and All Hail Froggy!


Let's be clear about this aspect of ownership: Cleaning a rimfire suppressor is a bitch. I don't take shortcuts and I use elbow grease - it's part of the post-range zen for me... For my first couple range sessions I coated all parts inside and out with Breakfree CLP, gave it a chance to sit, then used a knife-sharpened bamboo dowel (wife unit's plant stakes from the dollar store) to work off the carbon... This was followed up with a gentle brush with an old, used .357 bronze bore brush, then a second go-over with some CLP and a re-sharpened bamboo dowel (chisel-point, btw)

The whole process took about an hour, and was a LOT easier and a LOT faster than getting the lead out of my revolver bores from use of the crap PPU .38SPL I made the mistake of buying last year (i've gotten rid of that stuff since).

Rebel Silencer recommends that you use FrogLube paste to coat the interior of the suppressor to make cleanup easier. I would not use this product on my guns, but subsequently purchased this coconut oil-spearmint-paraben concoction.  It is expensive for what it is, but I got a tub, and liberally lubed up my SOS-22 V2.

Next, at the range I blew a new asshole on a target using Winchester M-22, my Ruger Charger, and a GSG 110-round drum. Came home, and.... holy feck the crap wiped right off!

I followed up with a quick scrub in some cool water and dish detergent using a nylon brush. Maybe next time I'll dip into some of the bacon grease in the fridge for a smell treat range test.
  
CAUTION: The stainless caps are press-fit set and adhesed using Rocksett. Do not immerse your SOS-22 in hot water for any length of time unless you want to have to re-glue your suppressor together!

Overall Impression


The quality of build? Not bad. Not perfect, but not bad.  You can feel some 'rough' catches on thread starts, but the cerakoting is quite good - no drips, etc.  Machining of the threads is OK - everything screws together by hand, and I've had no baffle strikes on my:

- Mark III w/a PacLite 4" unfluted barrel,
- 10/22 Takedown stainless
- Charger Takedown stainless
- Charger Takedown blued
- Charger Takedown blued and WhistlePig Acculite 12"

Thanks, Ruger!

The 'stacks' all line up, the end caps are perfect, the aluminum body w/steel cup inserts enable easy clean up of lead deposits, and while CLP gets the job done, Frog Lube is easier. Hey, I was skeptical, as I think Frog Lube should not be used on weapons - it's crap for that purpose. Either way, there is no need for dips, ultrasonic, corrosive cleaners, tumbling, etc. I have more than 500 700 1,000 rounds through my SOS V2 and it looks pretty good.

Here is a sample stack:




After cleaning I swab a Frog Lube'd finger inside and on the baffle cones. The suppressor comes apart easily if you keep the threads heavily lubed. Keep in mind that I always clean my gear after a range session as I don't like dirty weapons or gear.

Here is everything you need to keep this suppressor clean (besides patches or the odd scrap of rag). If you don't have Frog Lube paste (which I now recommend). CLP will work, but takes more effort:



Just my $0.02 on this suppressor. I'm happy, and this range toy will keep me shooting on my pistols and 10/22 while i wait for my Odessa9. (My Odessa9 Form 4 approval arrived in 89 days!)

Oh, and thanks to the examiner who processed my form so quickly!

And now I have a trio of MK II frames for shooting suppressed:


I continue to like my Rebel suppressor. I swapped some grips and ran my FrankenRuger MKII PacLite w/my SOS22 at the range one morning. The pistol cycled 100 rounds of Remington Goldens, 100 rounds of Winchester M-22 (only one failure to fire), and 50 rounds of Aguila Super Extra with no problems whatsoever. Accuracy improved somewhat by only using two stacks - base+1:

 I thoroughly enjoy shooting this suppressor. I also have a Dead Air Odessa9 and a Sig Sauer SRD22X (still in jail), but the SOS-22 V2 never disappoints. Here it is coupled with a MK II slabside competition target model:




Having a lot of fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment